Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Best Friend Craig And His List

It's no secret that Craigslist is a great place to find deals on anything and everything. The site has gained popularity over the years and is now even businesses are trying to get in on the action. I discovered this little gem when we were in escrow and realized that the furniture in our 800 square foot apartment would not fill up all of the new space we would have in our new 2,000 square foot house! 

I have featured some of my deals in previous posts like the Pottery Barn fixture here and the Pier 1 seagrass chairs here.

One of the biggest show stoppers we have purchased from Craigslist that always gets a compliment or two is the sectional sofa in our living room. We purchased it from a nice military couple who was retiring and relocating to Texas. They had purchased it while stationed in Germany and when they came back to the states, the sofa came with them. The greatest feature about this sectional is that part of it pulls out and when the ottoman is pulled up it becomes a full-sized bed. Genius Germans. The best part? It was only $300! Destiny was on my side for this one because after I called (20 minutes after it was posted) and set up an appointment with the owner, 10 other people called about it. After seeing the sofa and agreeing to purchase it, I headed over to rent a small enclosed U-Haul for $20 to transport the monstrosity.


This sofa easily seats 6 people and is great for TV lounging.

The sofa being extended to make a bed.

The couch as a movie watching haven/full size bed. 

Notice the incredibly large (9x12 to be exact) sisal rug in these photos? It's also a Craigslist find. It was a brand new Pottery Barn rug that I purchased for $140 from a young couple who bought it in anticipation of using it in their new home and later realized that it would not work. Our 2-year plan is to put in dark hardwood floors which will really make it pop!

My latest Craigslist find is a Pottery Barn desk that I snagged for $150 from a SCAD student who is moving to Atlanta. It usually sells for around $700!


The desk is a little sparse -- looks like I need to go office supply shopping!

I encourage all of you to check out your local Craigslist. My advice is to check the website frequently and jump at an opportunity when you see one -- the good stuff sells quickly!



    

1 comment:

Geoff and Jenn said...

Oh how I {heart} Craigslist! I've gotten tons of baby gear deals on there, like our double stroller for $90 that retails for close to $350! I haven't really had the need to look for house items, but I think I'll start browsing for fun and see what I can find :)